Monday, December 12, 2011

Three Songs That Are a Little Too Cool for Me (But I Still Love)

I have a confession: I wish I had "cool" music taste. What is "cool" music taste, you ask? It's a love of non-mainstream, kind of indie, first-discovered-at-a-music-festival music. It is not Train, Lee DeWyze (of American Idol fame), or Lil Wayne. (Those three currently dominating my "Top 25 Most Played" playlist on iTunes.) 

At any rate, I really wish that I had cooler music taste. But, thanks to the wonder of Spotify, (and an unrelenting itch to find anything to get me out of doing actual work at work), I get to discover new music while I sit at my desk and "work" daily. And I've found three songs that I really, really like. So, I present another list. This is a list of non-mainstream, cool-guy songs that aren't really in my musical ... wheelhouse, but I love anyway. This is list is appropriately titled,"Three Songs That Are a Little Too Cool for Me." 

1. City and Colour - The Girl 


I'm not 100% sure, but I think I caught a little bit of City and Colour's set when I was at ACL (the Austin City Limits Music Festival) this past September. I wish I had heard this song live, because I bet it was awesome. This song's lyrics are just so sweet. I love hearing about simple, unadulterated, un-put-upon love, and that's what this song is really all about.  Also, I like this song's (lack of) instrumentation. About halfway through (2:20 or so) it has a surprising tempo change that's fun. This song makes it into the "too cool" category because of it's obscurity and simplistic nature. It is the type of song that really could make it mainstream, but it would no doubt get all synthesized and commercialized in the process.

2. Ghostland Observatory - Sad Sad City 


Oh Ghostland. Ghostland might win the award for "cool guy bands." In fact just yesterday, when Sarah and I were out and about, this song came on and we couldn't name the group, but we knew it was one of those bands that you "should" know. And, if I know anything about Ghostland fans, they would protest that Ghostland has other songs that are muuuuuuch better than this. But, this song reminds me of about 9-10 months ago when I was still living in Austin. Living in Austin meant going out in Austin, which also meant dancing to cool songs like this one. I'm sure there were other Ghostland songs playing, but this one is really upbeat and fun. It has an infectious beat that sticks in your head all day. 

3. Kings of Leon - Soft 


I know, I know. Kings of Leon had a chart-topping song like a year ago, they are soo mainstream now. But, listen to this song because it's so not the "Use Somebody" Kings of Leon we came to know and love (and get burned out on). I have a very distinct memory of hearing this in my friend Steph's car, years ago. And, it was upbeat and catchy, and so very scandalous. I don't know if Steph remembers this but one day I was like, "What the crap is this song about, Steph?" Her response? "I think it's about trying to had sex when you're high on a bunch of drugs." (Hope the title makes sense now ...) This song makes the list because the average person hasn't ever heard of it and doesn't know this version of Kings of Leon, but hardcore music fans, have know about this song for years. 

Well that's that. Do you guys have any "cool-guy" songs that you love? Or, do you have any proposed "cool-guy" songs that I ought to take a listen to? Is so, PLEASE send them my way! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment