Thursday, December 22, 2011

DIY Project: Melted Crayon Art

So, the first thing I ever saw on Pinterest was melted crayon art. Melted. Crayon. Art. This is another one where I was like, "Who comes up with this stuff?!" Whoever they are, they are craft geniuses.

So, here's the primary list of what you'll need:

- Crayons. Lots of them. If you plan on having some of the same color, you'll obviously need to invest in multiple boxes, like we did for some of these creations.


- A canvas. 
- Hot glue gun. Some tutorials say just wait for the crayons to melt and they will stick by themselves. But, gluing them to your canvas first is the way to go, in my humble opinion.
- An oven. Yep. The thing in your kitchen.

Now, almost every tutorial on the web says use a hair dryer. But that seemed painfully tedious. (Not to mention we tried to see how long it would take to melt just one crayon and my hair dryer sparked and shut off.) So Sarah said, "What if we just put the canvas in the oven, and set it to broil?" Recipe for disaster? Nahhh... 

So that's exactly what we did. We covered my oven in foil, used a loaf pan to angle the canvas (so it'll drip in a certain direction), and waited for the magic to happen. Here's the magic starting:


Do you guys see that frightening red-hot heating element? Terrifying. 

Here are some finished products: 


Life is better in color. This is hanging in my living room / dining area right now. I can't get enough of it. 


Merry Christmas, Marissa. 


And Merry Christmas, Leigh. 



P.S. A big thanks to Sarah. She was really the one that thrusted her hands / arms in and out of my oven and I couldn't have done it without her. 

P.P.S. She was also the one that helped wave the smoke away from the smoke detectors that went off more times than I can count. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome job Ciabatta! <3

Post a Comment