Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DIY Project: T-Shirt Scarf

Yesterday, I told you guys I’d be posting quick, easy, do-it-yourself projects that you can make as last-minute gifts for your friends and fam. Yesterday, I posted about frosted wine glasses (that I gave to my dear friends Eddie and Mario). Today, I’ll be posting about how to make your own scarf … from t-shirts!

My lovely friend Maggie was the recipient of this gem.


What’s great about this scarf (besides it looking really nifty) is that it requires NO sewing. I am nobody’s seamstress so this works out especially great for me.

All you need to do is go to your local Hobby Lobby (I've fallen in love with that place lately) or a thrift store and grab two XL t-shirts. It'll cost you less than ten bucks. Also, I think that you don't have to use solid shirts. In fact, a patterned shirt or shirt with a print on it would probably look pretty sweet. The only thing you should try to avoid is a shirt with a seam down the sides of the torso. Take the shirts and lay them out on a flat surface. It's helpful to have a relatively large, flat surface. Since I don't really have one in my apartment, I opted to work on the floor.


Clearly, there's a slight, furry problem with working on the floor. At any rate, the next thing you'll need to do is cut each shirt off at the armpits. It'll leave you with two squarish pieces of material.


Then, cut the bottom hem off the shirt, if there is one.


Now, you want to cut inch-wide strips from what's left of the shirt. You'll be cutting left to right because what you want are inch-wide connected bands of fabric. Don't fret if it's not perfectly straight. We're going to do something that will make your crooked cutting virtually unnoticeable. What you'll want to do is take the strips and pull them with all your might.


Doing this will make the t-shirt material curl into itself and you'll get these cool, tubelike pieces of fabric. The end result looks something like this:


This is Maggie's preferred way of wearing a scarf, but I'm more of a looper, like this: 


Now, if you're looking closely (but ignoring the massive litter box in that pic, you'll see a braid in the scarf. To make one of those, pick three of your pieces, cut them so they will come undone, and braid them. Then, tie the ends back together and reincorporate it into the scarf. 

The last thing you'll need to do is band all the pieces together. Grab the hem from one of the shirts that you cut off and use it as a tie. Don't use the whole thing, just enough to keep things in one piece. 


This scarf doesn't take long at all to make and it's the kind of thing that can be worn with a plain top and really make your outfit more exciting. 

I have a feeling like I'll be making more (for myself) soon! 

P.S.: Meet Sean. There was no way I could leave this pic out. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment