Monday, July 2, 2012

"I'm Gonna Sign Up for the (Half) Marathon."

Yeah, I can't believe it either.

See, I'm not a runner. I'm really not good at it. I've been told that I look like a runner before, to which I have to be like, "Oh no, I do not run ... Nope, no runners here!"

A marathon, even if it's "just" a halfie seems insane to me right now.

But then again, the thought of completing a 60 Bikram Yoga Challenge once seemed ludicrous and I did it.

And then, the thought of doing this once seemed like crazy talk and I did it.

This is me, at 5:30 AM, deadlifting my own body weight. Freaking heavy.   
So, I think this is something  I can do. And I think it will feel amazing when I do it.

Have you ever been at the finish line of a long race like that? The people there are soo happy. They go through the finish line with the biggest smiles on their faces. They are simultaneously so exhausted but so fulfilled. It warms my heart and makes my eyeballs hot.

I know my training regimen will be tough. I didn't want to give up my CrossFit to train so I talked to one of the CrossFit coaches about how to do both.

He told me that, contrary to popular belief, it isn't necessary to train up to the 13.1 miles to complete the half marathon. Instead you can train at a higher intensity most of the time and then slow that intensity down and the actual race will be cake. So to speak. He let me know that you may be more successful at training if you can get it out of your head that you muuuuuuust be able to run 13.1 miles prior to the race. It's more about be in great shape, pushing yourself, and not letting giving up an option.

So, that's what I'm going with.

I developed a training schedule that had CrossFit in mind. Right now, it looks like this:

Mondays: CrossFit
Tuesdays: Interval Run
Wednesdays: CrossFit
Thursdays: CrossFit AND Interval Run
Fridays: CrossFit
Saturdays: OFF (thank goodness)
Sundays: Long Run

 Fun stuff.

Do you have any tips for first-time half marathoners? Give me all you got.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonna, my advice is to build in recovery in your program. Massage is great, and also check out my business CryoStudio on Facebook!

Post a Comment