Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Song of the Moment: "This City" by Patrick Stump

When asked "What is your favorite song right now?" Patrick Stump's "This City" comes to mind first.

For anyone that doesn't know, Patrick Stump was the lead singer of Fall Out Boy. I say "was" because Fall Out Boy is a band that ... disbanded. He's the guy that you hear singing all of the hooks to all of those Fall Out Boy songs that stay in your head alllll day long.

Anywho, this song is good. Is it poppy and striving to reach that mainstream demo? Sure. But, it's also one of those great pop songs that tries to gain a little street cred by adding a rapper into the mix (enter Lupe Fiasco).

Overall, it's just one of those songs that is hard not to affiliate with. I mean, take a look at these lyrics:

Cause this city is my city
And I love it, yeah I love it
I was born and raised here
I got it made here
And if I have my way, I'm gonna stay here

When I hear that hook coming over my speakers, I immediately conjure up memories of the city that I feel that same way about. The Jonna in my head starts recalling all these memories about the one city that I feel really truly helped me bring me into my own. For me, it's good ol' San Marcos, Texas. It's the city that I began my adult life in. More than that, to this day, every lasting friendship and relationship in my life can be traced back to that city. Because of that reason alone, I love that city.

If you've taken the time to get to the bottom of this post, take a listen. You just might like it.