Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Bikram Yoga Challenge? Check.

As an avid Groupon peruser, occassional Groupon buyer, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that Bikram Yoga of San Antonio was offering a Groupon. Ten classes for $40. Now, I know, that may not seem that great of a deal, but the original price of a ten class pass is $120. It's almost like you need to buy it for principle. And, I did.

And, I loved it. For those of you that don't know, Bikram Yoga is a sequence of 26 postures, bookended by 2 breathing exercises, in a room heated to 105 degrees, for 90 minutes. No, that's not a typo or an exaggeration, it's true. It's effing hot. And long. And hot and long. Really hot and long. But for some reason unbeknownst to me, I love it. I really love it. It's awesome. It's exhilarating and challenging and varied every single day.

As a firm believer that everyone should take quiet alone time everyday, this type of yoga is perfect. It's something just for me. It's just about me and the yoga focusing on yourself while you do the yoga. And I love it. Can't get enough of it. So much so that I opted to participate in a 60 Day Challenge. The 60 Day Challenge is to complete 60 classes in 60 days. Simple? No. Freaking hard? Yes.

I work full-time, I attempt to have a social life, and I like drinking too much red wine in the evenings with friends (or my cats and my DVR). All of these things present quite the challenge to the whole hot yoga thing. But I did it. I started August 14, 2011 and wrapped up 60 days later, on October 12, 2011. I feel fantastic. I feel tired yes, but I am swelling with feelings of achievement. And there's nothing better than that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment