Friday, December 28, 2012

Recipe: Red Velvet Cake Balls

One of my grad school peers used to make cake balls out of red velvet cake every time we had a class meeting that also involved food.

They were delicious. They were amazing. And, not that she needed it (at all) but I’m pretty sure she got a point or two added to her exam scores. That's how good they were.

So, I decided that I would attempt the same feat. What grade do I give myself? A solid “B.”


I am deducting points for not explicitly following directions and for working hastily.

But, the end result was delicious. Like, really REALLY delicious.

So, without further adieu, the recipe.

 Red Velvet Cake Balls
(recipe courtesy of Bakerella)

Ingredients and Materials:
1 red velvet cake, prepared according to the box’s directions
1 16-oz. can cream cheese frosting
1 package regular chocolate or white chocolate bark coating (I used both!)
Wax paper and cookie sheet(s)

Directions:

1. Cook the cake according to the directions provided on the box. 


I love having to expend zero energy to whip up a cake. 
2. Wait for the cake to cool completely.
3. Crumble the cake into a large bowl, or back into your stand mixer.


4. Add dollops of the frosting into your crumbled cake and mix. You can mix with your hands, or you could watch your mixer do the work for you.






5. Roll the mixture into quarter-sized balls and lay on cookie sheet. (Here’s the FIRST place where I didn’t follow the directions. Mine were like the size of the half-dollar.) 

6. Chill the balls for several hours. (Here’s the SECOND place where I didn’t follow directions. I was incredibly impatient. I waited one hour. Tops. When they aren’t chilled, they lose their shape and become all bumpy and weird looking. The cake also starts to separate and ends up in your chocolate.) 

7. Melt chocolate in microwave according to the directions. If needed and if you have it, you can thin the chocolate with some shortening. Good old-fashioned Crisco.


8. Use a spoon to roll the balls in the chocolate. The spoon also come in handy for getting rid of the extra chocolate.





 9. Plop them onto the wax paper.


10. Let them set until they are firm.


 11. Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment